The apple of our eye. We were able to practice CPR maneuvers on him and I have to say that it does make me feel a little more confident about having a baby except that this particular baby makes a clicking noise every time you do the CPR compression correctly that I am PRETTY sure real babies do not.... so we shall see. You can see from the below picture that Francis has really made himself at home.
I feel like I should get a special shout out for being the one to assemble that beast of a swing all by myself! There were multiple occasions where our dog approached the above swing and CPR baby with the same caution as Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark. I'm 99% sure he is now completely afraid of all tiny plastic babies, so hopefully our real baby is a tad bit more realistic looking. All in all it was a good class that we learned a lot from, but now every time I look around my house all I see are THINGS HE CAN PUT IN HIS MOUTH AND CHOKE ON, WHY DO WE LIVE IN A DANGER ZONE?!!??! I'm assuming this will end with our baby becoming some sort of bubble boy, although I hope with better hair than Jake G was sporting in that movie.
Memorial Day weekend was spent painting the babies room (I watched tv while David did that...) and painting the dresser that we already had (I watched tv while David did that...) and putting together the baby's crib (I held a piece of it while David did it and I wished I was watching tv). A lot of the baby's clothes have been washed which, at one point, resulted in my hormones going into overdrive and me tearing up at the size of a tiny tiny pair of pants as I was folding them. This is going to be a wild ride for the next 2 1/2ish months for that husband of mine... Anyway, here are a couple of pictures of his nursery so far:
This is the color of his room, although this picture is kind of deceiving as it is really more of a grey/blue mix. It is Valspar's GHOST SHIP and every time I think of the name I feel like Johnny Depp is about to make a Pirates of the Caribbean sequel in the nursery. This was actually the 3rd sample color we chose and a last minute pick to find one in between the two that we both were dead set on. It is pretty subtle compared to everything else in the room so I think overall it was a pretty good pick.
Here is his crib all put together and just waiting for a mattress! I'm not sure why the color of the wall looks totally different there, but if you take that color and mix it with the one in the picture above you get a little bit closer to what I think the real color looks like when you see it with human eyes and not camera lenses. I'm super happy with the crib's color and shape and I'm excited to get his crib skirt on there to make it look a little fancy. I have also been using it as a drying rack when the clothes come out semi damp, which makes it the most expensive clothing line I've ever owned.
This is his dresser that used to be a light blonde woodish color and was originally David's parents and then was our first dresser and now will be used by the baby. It is painted a color called something something Navy fleet (maybe not the actual name....), which is super ironic if you knew me and knew how much I hated nautical themes for baby boys, especially combined with ghost ship. The two pictures that are resting temporarily on top will go above the dresser in some sort of fashion and are prints of vintage US park posters that David had bought before and hung up above our elliptical originally. Who doesn't need to see the sights when they are getting their sweat on? Right now I'm leaning towards adding next to them a print of the state of Texas in a fun color, but I keep thinking of someone from out of state saying "well that's pretty lame, don't ya know", because apparently they are from Minnesota. But we shall SEE, this baby will be the first in this little family to actually be born in Texas, so maybe he should embrace it?
On the other side of the wall above the crib we are thinking of doing the first initial of his name, maybe something simple like this, and then maybe having some prints of animals, definitely a dog or two or three or four. (Every time I look at that last link I convince myself more and more that we are totally hip enough to have a fake moose head in our house). It is still all up in the air, I've also been looking on etsy for some cute quotes or bible verses to put up but so far most of them just talk about how dirty boys get from mud, which may be true but not really something I want to display on a wall.... We also need to pick out material for curtains and for the rocking chair that we were given, basically lots of decisions that make me want to just pick brown for everything to make it super easy.
All in all, everything seems to be going well. I am now on the see the doctor every 2 weeks plan and recently successfully passed my glucose test. I'm not saying that I thought I wouldn't pass but when you eat ice cream for 1/2 of your dinner you assume that your blood sugar might be a tiny bit out of whack. If anyone out there 1) reads this blog still and 2) is good at decorating and wants to share any ideas for colors or patterns or prints or pictures, please feel free to add anything in the comments. Or, as I am pretty sure, if only my mom reads this any more, just go ahead and send me an email with all the pictures of your dachshund that you want displayed.
I read this "wants to share any ideas for colors or patterns or prints or pictures, please feel free to add anything in the comments" and in full Katniss Everdeen yelled I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE. Can I just send you a million pictures to hang in buster's room?
ReplyDeleteIn keeping with the Ghost Ship theme, can you please cover his room in those decorative spiderwebs people put out at Halloween? Thanks in advance.
ReplyDeletePLEASE send as many pictures as you can find. I'm terrible with this stuff....
ReplyDeleteNice job on the dresser Dana! Looks completely different from before.
ReplyDeleteWe read it and we love your blog! Do you want one of Gary's deer horn? Love, Aunt Carol & Sarah
ReplyDeleteI read it! (better late than never). And I am absolutely no help at decor... my kids' walls are bare (I have no creative gene; plus I am too cheap for the adorable etsy stuff. And too lazy to refinish anything. Wow, I sound like an awesome mother...). Great job on the room!! Can't wait to visit!
ReplyDelete