We've decided that having a newborn baby is a lot like being in Vegas. Not so much because of the gambling, drinking, and topless girls but for the complete lack of awareness of time. There have been multiple days where we will repeatedly ask each other what day it is and it can take a solid 20 minutes before one of us can either remember or have the sense to check our phones. This has resulted in both of us being a little confused on what constitutes getting ready for bed versus just brushing your teeth because you think it might have been 3 days since the last time you did. To say that I'm not really turning it out in the glamour (or hygiene, to be real) department would be the understatement of a lifetime. I know at some point it gets easier on a routine but right now I think I'm going to just embrace what we'll call "smelly bag lady chic". All of this to say, if you are brave enough to come by and visit please don't be surprised to find me in an arrested development banana t shirt and pajama shorts well past breakfast time (current outfit at 5 pm).

Other than that, I think we're doing an okay job surviving this whole thing. My parents stayed with us for most of last week and I am already missing having all my laundry instantly done and food ordered and presented at meal times. This must be a tiny glimpse into Kate Middleton's life, but without the perfectly styled hair, crown jewels at my disposal, and horse drawn carriage rides to go to the grocery store (pure speculation on my part). David's parents have spoiled us with home cooked meals and so many people have sent goodies for us to snack on that I'm pretty sure we can feed Jack with leftovers until he's safely into college.

So far the baby has been on a schedule of eating about every three hours, which results in a bizarre schedule of sleeping for hour increments in between feedings. This hasn't resulted in too much delirium but I did have some thank you notes I wrote at 2 am returned because I didn't put postage on there.... I feel like I should be able to write "HAVE A NEWBORN" on the front of the envelope and the government should give me a free pass on stamps for a month or two. I did just create another future taxpayer, you're welcome America.

(I like to pretend that in this picture he just figured out that we're the ones taking care of him forever and he's saying something along the lines of "Oy Vey")
I think the one member of our family who's having the roughest time with the lack of sleep is probably our dog, Oliver. He has been trying to wake up with us every time one of us is up with the baby in the living room, which means he has been falling asleep while sitting up and begging for food. He has become a lot more adjusted to the baby making noises or crying (no more barking while the baby cries!) and I would imagine that sometime soon he'll be letting Jack climb on his back and ride him like a tiny horse (too early for me to find a tiny saddle?). The following picture was taken at 3 am (PROOF PER THE CLOCK IN THE BACKGROUND) in the middle of a very noisy feeding, and it didn't seem to stir him at all, if only we should all be so lucky.
No comments:
Post a Comment