Background

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Dear Baby Jack: 13 Months!

I'm not 100% sure I'll keep up with a monthly post (if I do, we all know they'll be half a month late), but I thought that as long as you're reaching milestones we might as well document everything, so happy 13 months!

Up until you turned 13 months you had only taken a step here or there and then decided that crawling was your preferred means of transportation. The day you turned 13 months (so punctual!) you took 4 legitimate steps towards one of your favorite things in the entire world, the remote control. Clearly, we didn't understand that just walking between your mom and dad wasn't extremely motivating. Add in your beloved, but rarely attained, remote and we had a winner. This will open a whole new world to you of dusty tables to grab onto and drawers to try and pull open.

I noticed the other day that there were a few toys shoved in our couch cushions and it turns out that you've been hiding some things in there for a rainy day. I have found a few coasters and a random shoe squirreled away for safe keeping. You've started assuming that everything is yours and your little hand shoots out the second you see something you want. The mother's day out told me that you've become a little blanket thief anytime the girl in your class puts hers down.... I can imagine the mischievous look on your face. You've started to enjoy handing things to other people when you're asked "Can I have that please?", HOWEVER you've also learned that I will ask you the same question when you have something you're not supposed to have. For some reason, your reaction is then to shove it in your mouth so that I won't take it from you. I have fished out more than my fair share of pieces of cotton, couch stuffing, and grass from your mouth.


You still enjoy being chased and the "I'm going to get you" game, it is almost guaranteed to leave you giggling on the floor. The box that your new truck came in (from Aunt Carol) has become one of your favorite hiding places, and your dad has cut a whole in the box to make a really great peep hole so that you can pop out of there like a little prairie dog. You also try and climb everything, lifting your legs up as if a step will magically appear to push you up to the next level.

You're still a very good eater, who isn't very picky with what we feed you. The other day I was feeding you quinoa with chicken and I realized I have a very short window before you realize the injustice of you eating quinoa while I eat cheetos..... Your favorite foods definitely lie in the fruit spectrum, and the very few bites you've had of dessert have always ended in a smile. Unfortunately, you're smart enough to know what the cookie jar is and that the sound of a crinkling bag means someone has food. You're on high alert when you see someone else is eating, automatically assuming that you will need a bite.


You've grown to love books even more and have started pulling a few from your bookshelf to hand over for a reading. You also enjoy pulling every. single. book. out and throwing them in a pile on the floor. It can be comical to try and put them back while you pull them out on the other end.



Your molars have been coming in for, what feels like, 100 years. The teething has brought you down a few days, but even then it seems like you can always find something to make yourself laugh and be entertained. You are such an observer when we go places, always looking around to see where the action will be. You're still very shy around new people, and refuse to make contact with anyone you haven't done a thorough background check on. All in all, I would say 13 months has been really fun, especially as you learn something new every day.


 

1 comment: