Background

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Dear Baby Jack: 20 & 21 Months

It took me 20 months to finally forget to post an update/be too busy to remember to do it, so this update will be a combo post of the past two months. I would say the biggest change in you is your understanding of things we tell you and your ability to communicate what you want. This doesn't always mean you get what you want, but you are quick to let us know when this displeases you. We had an epic meltdown last month over blackberries that I don't think I will be forgetting any time soon. You like to go around the family and name everyone off "Dada, Mama, Oliver, Jack", and have words for most of your favorite things "George, Elmo, and lawnmower". I would say you know most of the standard toddler words: ball, more, up, down, etc.You can do the animal noises for a cow, elephant, dog, cat, tiger, dinosaur (vaguely similar to the tiger), owl, etc. Every few days it seems like you repeat back words we say, although "more" and "up" continue to be favorites. Your favorite songs are "The wheels on the bus", "Itsy bitsy spider", and the entire Rend Collective Christmas CD. We've been celebrating baby Jesus' birth for about 4 months now.



You love to be outside especially if someone in the neighborhood is mowing. You've spent more than a few minutes peeping out the front window watching the lawn crews. The watering can is now one of your favorite things outside, so this might be the first year our hydrangea gets enough water to make it through the summer. We have gone through many a container of bubbles, mostly from you dumping them all over the patio. Currently your sand box holds more bubble wands than the actual bubble containers. Your next favorite activity has been turning the bricks over in the back yard to look for bugs and garden snakes. Unfortunately for me you have a great memory and return to the garden snake's brick constantly. Most of your indoor play is with one of your thousand of cars, reading books, or playing with puzzles.






Apparently you've watched too much Curious George because you have picked up furniture climbing as a new sport. I've seen you claw your way onto the couch, ottoman, coffee table, and most recently our kitchen table chairs. You've tried to balance yourself on some of your toys which has ended poorly only a handful of times. You are very curious and instantly interested in anything your dad or I do that's new to you. You have been "helping" me cook, which means I get to balance you on one side while trying to measure spices and stir pots with the other. I'm hoping this means your teenage years will be spent making us all gourmet meals.





Your favorite foods are: cheese, refried beans, queso, strawberries, crackers of any kind, and pretty much all bbq. We're a little proud of what a great little Texan we're turning you into. You are still a pretty good little eater, and you've started being more interested in everyone else's plates more than your own (even if it is the same food). We've noticed that with certain things if we tell you that it is the "last bite" you'll keep it in between your fingers and take little bites every once in awhile so that you can eat it just a little bit longer. It is hilarious but also super disgusting (especially when graham crackers are involved). You can use a spoon to eat your oatmeal and yogurt (although we have been putting a bib on you when you eat these so we aren't constantly doing laundry for clean shirts), and have been using a spoon with some of your dinners too. I have noticed you picking up the food to place it on the spoon, but we aren't too big into proper dinner etiquette around our house so I suppose we'll let it slide.






You are a big hug-giver to the people you know and for some reason blow kisses to strangers (who I'm pretty sure terrify you). You've been saying bye bye and waving whenever your dad leaves for work and dance around once one of us comes home (usually Dad). Lately I've seen you mimicking us more, especially when it comes to us sitting on the floor or stretching out somewhere. Overall I would say the past two months you have learned a ton and any day now your speech will catch up to the babbling we hear mixed in with real words.




2 comments:

  1. Jack, your cousins also enjoy Rend Collective Christmas, especially watching the YouTube music video for Joy to the World... you should ask your mom to play it for you ;)

    ReplyDelete