Background

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Germs!

Good news! I haven't fallen into a dark pit  where nobody can find me that doesn't have internet access to write blog posts. I just have a newborn baby and a house to clean. Even though Jack is almost two months old he still hasn't become financially, emotionally, or physically independent yet. I'm not going to flat out call him needy or a "baby" but you catch my drift. He has begun being awake for longer stretches of time during the day and a little more than 50% of that time doesn't involve tears! (His or mine!). He will still randomly decide to be awake for no real reason (it is currently 3 am and he's got quite the case of the wide crazy eyes), but those days seem to be less and less as well. We are a real life example of the "it gets better" mantra that all moms hear from the day their babies are born. 

So far Jack has watched his fair amount of college football (catching all of the Aggie games, of course), made it to church a couple of times (once to be baptized), and made a few trips around the neighborhood to enjoy the less than 100 degree weather here. I'm pretty sure in Texas we call that winter. 

Jack's first trip to church made me realize how being a parent gives you a heightened sense of the amount of germs in the world. We go to the early/traditional service (shout out to my "die before we change" Lutherans) which, as you can imagine, brings out a slightly older congregation. This has always been my favorite service for many reasons: the hymns, the traditions, and I'm always the hippest and dressed the trendiest. Since this was our first Sunday back after being gone a month every woman over the age of 75 was a magnet to his presence after the service. David and I both agreed that it reminded us of all the hands coming after people in a zombie horror movie (in a more delightful way, of course). All I could think was that I wished I had a can of Lysol to just spray willy nilly in the air/on their hands just in case one of them had recently traveled to a foreign country where cleanliness was not next to Godliness. Besides the fear of a mini outbreak happening all of the ladies were sweet and told us how perfect and adorable he was. That's the best thing about older church ladies, they know how to speak the truth (and love on little babies). I can only imagine that if I'm this freaked out about germs from people who have been bathing themselves since the 1940s that the first time we go to one of those public play places in the mall we will make Jack wear a full on hazmat suit. 

In general we are all doing well and loving watching Jack as he grows and learns to do new things. One of my favorite things lately was when David and I were talking about how everything changes so quickly and what it has been like versus what we expected. This was his direct quote about me, "I thought you'd be crankier". I think this is his way of telling me that I'm getting this mom thing down pat or that motherhood has worn me down to less of a diva. Either way, I'll take it as a compliment. 


1 comment: