Background

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Soul Food and Friends

It has been a whirlwind couple of weeks, which should explain why Jack's 2 month update was written when he was 2 1/2 months old.... Hopefully between the traveling and craziness I haven't forgotten too many details. A couple of weeks ago Emily, Aunt B, and our goddaughter Charlotte all came to visit us after they made a trek up to Dallas for the state fair. Charlotte was a fan of baby Jack, but as is the case with most 2-3 year olds, wanted to play with David for most of the visit. I think between Charlotte and our nephew it has been proven that I need to step up my game and/or start carrying candy in my pockets for bribes. Thank y'all so much for coming to visit, I haven't laughed that hard in such a long time!
Last weekend I traveled to North Carolina to see my best friend from way way way way way back, Sarah, get hitched. (CONGRATS SARAH AND AARON!) The wedding took place at a camp that Sarah and her family have gone to since they were basically born, and I'm pretty sure it was all exactly as she had told me she wanted it when we were little kids, right down to "One Hand, One Heart" playing while she walked down the aisle. The food at the reception was some of the best I've ever had, I wish I could have packed some of the potatoes au gratin in my suitcase. 

My parents also went and we shared a cabin in the mountains that was just everything you could want out of a mountain experience. The picture below was taken from our cabin's deck and shows you just how plain and ordinary it was up there. At one point my dad wanted to sit out on the deck before bed, and I lasted about 5 minutes in the dark before I could have SWORN there was something moving in the bushes beside us. Let's be real, I didn't want to be in some sort of newspaper headline that read "IDIOT MOM EATEN BY BEAR" so I boogied inside before tempting any meat eating animals.

The entire weekend was so much fun. It was great to see Sarah, her family, and all of the families from the church we attended growing up. I will say that I have never felt more like a fuddy duddy than when all of aforementioned people, who are mostly my parent's age, were out breaking it down to rap songs. I just was not given the gift of groove. At one point my teeny tiny mother was dancing to "All About That Bass" which is about being a curvy woman, so that image will now be my go to for when I need a laugh. (Thanks mom!) It was kind of a blast to not have a baby attached to my hip/crying in my ear for 2 1/2 days. I'm not saying I didn't have total mom guilt before I left, but it was kind of nice to get to go to sleep when I wanted to and get more than 4 hours of consecutive sleep! We had been unsure about whether it was worse to take Jack with us or to leave him with David and on my flight back from NC there was a small child who wanted to let the entire plane hear him yell. It wasn't that he was afraid or scared, he just legit thought it was hilarious to yell as loud as possible. When I looked around and saw all of the seriously agitated people on the plane I realized we had made the right decision. It's not like you can explain to a child under 1 that strangers don't really LIKE the sound of crying/yelling in their ears...
Displaying 2014-10-12 07.14.53.jpg


David spent the weekend by himself with the baby and I had hoped all along that the baby would be good, but not so good that he would be like "THIS IS SO EASY". Maybe just like 30-45 minutes of crying was my ideal......... I received this picture during the weekend, so I assumed they were doing just fine.




One of the things that helped get me through this difficult time in my life, was a good friend named Soul Food. My parents took me to Nana's Soul Food Kitchen in Charlotte after my plane had landed. I have never thought of them as better parents than in that moment. They had already been there for lunch and dinner the night before, but were more than okay with going again for lunch. Below is my meal, which consisted of fried chicken, green beans, mac n cheese, cornbread, and Cheer Wine (a NC soda). Clearly I was so excited about the food that I forgot that I was going to be in a bridesmaid dress the next day, but it was worth the puffy salt face. If I could have Nana,whoever she may be, come live with me and pay her rent in delicious food, I would be forever grateful. 
Jack is starting to become more alert and will even respond back to you when you smile and talk to him. The video below was taken a week or so ago, please notice Oliver's collar jingle in the background. Oliver's decided that anytime the baby gets attention he needs to wake up from the nap he's taking and be more involved. 

Jack has also become a champ at lifting his head, but can only stand about 2 minutes of "tummy time" before he screams bloody murder. He has started to notice more of the mobiles we have around in his crib, swing, and activity mat and finds them EXTREMELY fascinating. He's getting better at following people when they come in and out of rooms and will pretty consistently look you in the eye, sometimes with a death glare like you wouldn't believe. There have been times that he's been staring at me for so long that I'm convinced that he's fallen asleep with his eyes open.


We keep going back and forth on whether to get Jack a costume for Halloween. I'm thinking he might just end up with a little shirt since he's too little to take out without our neighbors realizing that we're just going around to get candy for ourselves. We've been enjoying the cooler weather in Texas and hopefully we'll be able to get out and take even more walks, it' has definitely been helping my cabin fever.

1 comment: