Background

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Dear Baby Jack: 12 Months!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BABY JACK!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Pretend like I didn't post this half a month after your actual birthday)



It doesn't seem possible that it has been a full year since the day you were born. I know it is a cliche but the year really has flown by. I believe the phrase is "the days are long, and the years are short". Those first few days (and months...) sure felt extremely excruciatingly long at first, but we all survived and we can't imagine life before you arrived. You are such a ham now, and really light up when you're around people that you know. It seems like it takes you a lot less time to warm up to strangers after the mandatory side eye. I've caught you a few times mimicking my tone while I'm on the phone, and even heard you repeating some of it while you were playing with your toys. So far you can say dada and mama very clearly and every once awhile (as long as you're unprompted.....Jack does NOT perform on demand) you will say up, bye, and all done (you have to use your imagination a little to hear it, but the inflection is there).

You will wave bye-bye, but usually after the other person has waved to you and left. We started to teach you the sign for more, but somehow it turned from the actual sign into you just clapping your hands and then morphed into you clasping your hands together and sticking them out as if you're saying "PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE". It seems like you're much more observant and curious, getting into anything and everything you can reach. Anything new in the room will instantly garner your attention, and watching you with new toys as you figure out every button, hinge, and snap is hilarious to watch.

You have become quite the little trash disposal as you will eat pretty much anything I will put in front of you. The only exceptions have been unsalted green beans (totally get that), cantaloupe, and pancake. I'd like to point out to everyone reading that I swear there was no way I could manipulate him into hating pancakes, it obviously is just genetic. I would say your favorite foods include any and all carbs (bread, pasta, oatmeal) and cheeses/you are your mother's son. Your dad has made many comments that my palette is similar to that of a child's, and you have been consistently proving that. It should go without saying that you liked eating cake on your birthday, especially the icing. I'm not sure you enjoyed all the people staring at you while you ate, but I also think I would feel the same way with that many eyes on me. You also ate banana pudding and sherbet for the first time and both of the first bites were quickly followed with the "more" sign.

You still enjoy a good lift the flap book, but now you will turn the pages and lift the flaps yourself. Sometimes while the book is upside down, but we're working on it. We read Goodnight Moon almost every night, and you have started pointing to the pictures like I've done in the past to point out all the things we're saying good night to. Nothing makes you laugh harder than when someone chases you and lets you know that they're "gonna get you". Sometimes you're so ready for them to catch you that you'll crawl towards them instead of away. Your favorite song is definitely "The Itsy Bitsy Spider", and we have used it more than once as someone takes a picture of you. I'm not sure how long this trick will last, but we will be wearing it out until then.

You had a blast at your birthday party with visits from both sets of grandparents, your Aunt Jill, Uncle Jon Jon, and cousins Kyle and Claire. Watching you as you watched your cousins play makes me excited to see the three of you on our next family vacation. Once you get walking down you three will be like a little tornado of energy. You still weren't too sure about opening presents with wrapping paper, but Kyle was there to help and he did a great job. I think you fell asleep the second your head hit the mattress that night after all the running around and playing you did.





We've had such a great year with you, we can't believe that you used to be the teeny tiny little boogie in the picture below. You've grown up so much and we can't wait to see your little personality come out even more. We love you, Jack!


1 comment: